Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Superstore, I applaud you!

The other day I was perusing the internet and decided to check out the G.R.E.E.N. Insider's Report for Superstore and on the last page I saw that they're no longer going to give out complimentary plastic bags. Now they'll be charging 5 cents a bag and the proceeds are going to the World Wildlife Foundation. What a fantastic idea! A friend of mine was saying that these reusable bags that everybody and their aunt is peddling is just a big money grab (I agree with her). They're not working to reduce pollution they just want to profit from the warm fuzzy you get when you impulse buy it and then let it rot on the floor of your closet. Now, I know that some people are faithful in using them and I freely admit that I forget mine quite often - so I'm not trying to sound high and mighty here. But the point is that Superstore is offering a pretty big incentive NOT to forget them and in a way to quasi-bully us into doing what we know we ought to be doing anyway. So be nice to your cashier because I called customer service to express my appreciation and apparently they're catching a LOT of flack for this.

PS-It starts April 22nd and any reusable bag will do, it doesn't need to be their brand.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

Ruth there was an article in the paper about that & it is not only the Superstore that is doing that it's all grogery stores.

Cricket on the Hearth said...

Really!? Awesome. We don't get the paper so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Sherrie said...

It only makes sense - I think it's brilliant, too. :)

Anonymous said...

They do that in Korea already. We had to pay 5 cents for each plastic bag. It only makes sense really. I was wondering when they'd start doing it here.
~Ruth

Anonymous said...

I can manage five cents for a couple of bags. I don't buy much anyway...food and I are enemies! And I have my trusty Acadia pack. I have read, though, that plastic bags are more recyclable and break down faster now (they finish like in six months to a year at most) than such bags of yore. It was in the Chronicle-Herald last week sometime. Besides, I always re-use mine. Whatever helps us to be able to look the Lord in the face and give an account of our stewardship when the time comes. :D Why are people giving them such a hard time over it? Are they stupid, or just ill-mannered?
<><