Sunday, July 20, 2008

"He's alright, he's just scared"

Today while I was at work, Sean and Simeon went to Canadian Tire to pick up a few things. Simeon was in the seat of the cart when a boy of considerable size with autism ran up to say hello to him. Unfortunately the boy was too enthusiastic and said hi by hitting Simeon on the head and knocking him sideways in the cart. I'm not faulting the boy or even his father - I can't imagine how hard it would be to parent someone with autism and keep track of their every move - BUT I wasn't too impressed with his dad's response (as Simeon was screaming): "The baby's alright, he's just scared".

This is the second time Sean has heard this. Five years ago he was biking in Moncton while attending ABU. At 50 km/h on Mountain Rd he was struck by a large car going the same speed in the same direction, swiping him neatly off his bike and sending him through the air into an adjacent parking lot. Nothing was broken but the feeling had left him and he couldn't move. The man (slightly on the older side) got out, looked down at Sean, and said "Oh! You're all right, arentcha? Yeah - I think I scared ya more than hurt ya." Sean blinked, still unable to move or talk. The man nodded and smiled, apparently satisfied with his diagnosis, and got back in his car.

Is it fear of blame that keeps people from accepting responsibility? Members of the public, please listen: The next time you succeed in injuring one of my family, just say, "I'm sorry." Then we can all get along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, know what you mean, Ruth, though different but similar circumstances. Grrr. I thik maybe it IS a fear of blame. Or being sued in this litigeous age, when one can get millions for being stupid enough to spill hot coffee on one's crotch! I well remember when Sean was side-swiped...wanted to track down the man and beat him! I suppose it might be possible that people who act this way are afraide that they've REALLY hurt someone and feel guilty and do this (unconcsiously) to deflect. Warren or Drew would know more about the psych side of it than I. My baliwack is history and theology. And a certain reine malhereuse. (Apoloies for the spelling...it's late and I am too lazy to go grab my glasses off the counter.) Regardless, it is rude and stupid and these people need to get a clue. Simeon is ok...?? <><

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love how you ended the blog! Now, that's true...how hard is it for someone to say, "Sorry" and to show remorse?