Wednesday, November 5, 2008

44th President

Sean and I were very excited to see Barack Obama win the election on Tuesday. We stayed up until midnight watching the news - yes, Sean "the old man" Carroll voluntarily stayed up past ten. :) {I'm going to be in trouble when he reads this post lol}
What was really interesting to me was to hear the reactions from the black community the next day. Person after person (of all ages) was saying "I never thought I'd see the day that a black man was elected president" or "Now I can tell my kids they can be whatever they want to be and know it's true". It was incredible to me that in this day and age there is a whole people group who have felt excluded from success because of their race. I'm sure that I sound very naive, and I probably am - because honestly I can't think of an instance where someone's been discriminated against. I heard the N-word once and had I been a little older and a little bolder I would've said something instead of being shocked into silence. Racism is a problem in Canada, I'm not denying that but it's just not something that I've seen firsthand. In short, I congratulate the U.S. on this landmark in their history and I also want to say that John McCain had a wonderful concession speech and took back a lot of dignity that had been sacrificed during the last few weeks of his campaign.
That's my shout out to the USA.
Back to Simeon. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about our aboriginal people? What would they say?
Shirley G

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it IS pretty cool, I was pleased too.

Cricket on the Hearth said...

Excellent point Shirley - truthfully I'd completely forgotten about aboriginals. I think that would cause quite a stir if Graham Greene were to run for prime minister. Interesting.
~Ruth.