Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I love Easter!

Friday night our church choir held a Tenebrae service which I was able to take part in. It's the second time I've sung in it but until now I didn't know what the word meant. Here's the definition for anyone else who isn't familiar:
–noun (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Roman Catholic Church.
the office of matins and lauds for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of Holy Week, sung respectively on the afternoon of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of that week, at which the Crucifixion is commemorated by the gradual extinguishment of candles.
[Origin: 1645–55; literally: darkness]

It closes in complete darkness and the people are asked to exit in silence; I find it very meaningful and a lovely time of meditation.

Sunday we went to Sean's parents' and stayed until 10:30 pm when we realized that we (ahem, Sean) forgot to bring our overnight bag - so it was back to Saint John and a return in the morning. We got to visit with the whole family and even had a trip to his aunt and uncle's farm. They have a beautiful old farmhouse with a lot of handmade pieces in it. In fact, his aunt just started up an Etsy shop that you can check out here to see some of her work.
After a great visit indoors we headed for the barn where they keep their sheep and cows. I was curious to see how Simeon would like the animals and didn't have to wait long for my answer. As soon as the first lamb was taken from its pen the sheep started bleating and Simeon started screaming. He wasn't too impressed with the cows either as you can see here - I was trying to reassure him but he remained pretty skeptical.
I hope you all had a happy Easter and got to spend it with family. There's no better thing :)

6 comments:

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

I promise, I am not a creepy stalker! I happened to hit "Next Blog" and stumbled across yours. The lamb picture is beautiful and it is nice to see another family who uses cloth diapers. Your family is lovely. :)

Anonymous said...

*gasp!*
very ethereal!

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cricket on the Hearth said...

Thanks Allison, all credit goes to Sean's keen eye! Michelle it was great to hear from you, and no worries we love to hear from new readers and hope you'll be back.
P.S. - your blog is great; full of great tips, ideas and honesty :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the lamb-picture is wonderful! I kind of figured that it was a Sean-pic. :)
Love the one too of Simeon with his grampy Carroll! He might get used to the animals later. My little sister was afraid of the cows until she got older...(maybe the large size relative to thier own?) and then up until dad had to give up keeping stock a few years ago you could not keep her out of the barn! <><

In another land said...

Thanks for the pictures. I've taken the one of John (aka unkenon) and set it as my desktop background. Alas, the fuzzieness makes the said John looking a tad spacey, but Simeon is still the cutest kid in (your) town.
--Nancy