Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Big, Silent Type

Was up at Mum and Dad's Saturday. Helped purge the sun porch. Uncovered this Remington 30 banking typewriter, of which Dad was trying to unburden himself. I was only too happy to assist:) This old beauty weighs a tonne, and everything on it works smoothly.
The belly of the beast: this is a view across the inside of the typewriter (assisted on the other end by the light of a match).

The famous bell that makes that satisfying "ding."

The inclusion of the "@" key (seen here) was instrumental in writing pre-WWI commerce-related emails.

The Remington 30 has a fascinating history, dating back to its first recorded use to draw up a contract between Noah and the Post-Diluvian Ararat Zoological Society. Over the years the considerable heft of this machine has made it useful in sundry other lines of work, from mooring small boats to chaining down flight-risk criminals.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that thing. Nice find!

Allison said...

That ding IS satisfying! Neat to see that the beast has a character that computer keyboards don't but is still in use today . . .

Anonymous said...

Very cool. My Uncle Doug gave me pre-WWI typewriter a long time ago which has an extremely satisfying ding, as well as some French accent keys!!! I've been hunting for a ribbon for it for ages... You going to try to restore / use this one?

By the way, I am totally, completely, crazy in love with Simeon. I can't BELIEVE how big he's gotten!!! I can't wait to see him (and I guess you guys too) in another week!!!! So close to being done!!

Miss you all. Kisses to Simeon from me.
~ Angelique

Anonymous said...

Wow, that IS pretty cool, Sean. Made the antiquarian in me drool with envy and appreciation! And, yeah, I used to LOVE that "ding!" waaaay back in the day when I used a manual typewriter for typing along with my law courses. Many moons ago. So cool. (BY the way, and only tangentally related: Wayne graduates this May! :) <><

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruth. Sara told me about your blogs. Congrats on the baby. Lots of hair. My boy is 9 months and just starting to get alittle in the back. You're husband takes amazing pictures. I'll check them all out when I get a min. Drop me a line sometime. adamtheriault@msn.com

Cricket on the Hearth said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I gave it a first cleaning a couple of days ago, but I'm sure it'll need a few more to get rid of all the dust hiding inside. I think it'd be neat to use it for letter writing (a dying genre of communication) but we haven't tried it out yet. We'll keep you posted. Oh, and Angelique and Adam it's great to hear from each of you - hope to talk more really soon!
~Ruth

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lady, letter writing IS a dying art, though there are those few of us who try to keep it alive, even with pen and ink. (Hint, hint.) Ahem. :)-
Try using that soft-bristle thingie--I forget its proper name--on the vaccum. That may do the trick for getting at the remaining dust. It is AMAZING to think that once this relic of a bygone age was as "up to date" and technologically wonderful as e-mail and IM is today. Kind of boggles the mind doesn't it?
(By the way, remember that post some time back in which Sean captured a cemetery scene? Well, I have a rather cool one to send you guys back... as soon as I can find it again.)
Toodles. :)
<><

Anonymous said...

Angelique, did you try Staples for the ribbon? They have almost everything there. What kind of ribbon does it take? I'll keep my eyes peeled for one around here. <><

Anonymous said...

Love the pics!